A Survey Plan is an important title document relevant in any land or landed property transaction. It helps to set boundaries and demarcate a land. The survey plan reveals the true ownership status of the land. A sample survey plan will show the description of the land, the building location, physical features and other important dimensions of the land in question. It is required for almost all land transactions. With a survey plan, you can know if a specific land is under any government acquisition.
Only Registered Surveyors are qualified to prepare survey plans. A survey has various relevance in Nigeria and was codified by the Survey Act of 1990.
A survey plan is relevant when:
- Buying a property: Part of the due diligence required when buying a property is to request for a survey plan from whoever intends to sell the property to you. This is because it reveals the true identity of the property and its exact measurement.
- Drafting a deed of assignment: For your lawyer to draft a deed of assignment, a survey plan is needed. This contains the date the land was transferred to you as well as a clear description of the land.
- It is necessary to obtain information on a land: As earlier said, the survey plan contains relevant information on the true owner of the land. When it is necessary to get information on the dimension and description of land, a survey plan is required.
- In obtaining the Governor’s consent: Without the survey plan, you cannot get a governor’s consent on your property. It is where you confirm the government has not designated the land to someone else.
- The Survey plan is also relevant when obtaining the certificate of occupancy.
- Architects also use it to determine what the building plan should look like.
- Engineers need it to perfect the building plan from the architect.
- It is one of the documents requested from the bank to obtain a loan using your property as collateral.
- Mortgage firm needs it to close out on a home deal.
- The survey plan is needed when you want to give the property out as a gift. This is to certify that there is a new owner of the property and maps the exact measurement of the land which includes its length and breadth.